There are several Meta tags defined, all these Meta tags have their own importance in SEO and must be optimized well for better user experience & better ranking in SERPs. Some of them are very important while you Search Engine Optimization for your website and are briefed as below:
– Title Tags: As mentioned above, a page title should be unique, contain information about page topic, contain target keywords, and should be under 50-60 characters.
– Meta Description: A page Meta description should be well optimized, contain briefly information about page content, should contain target keywords, author name, product name, services and should be between 150-300 characters.
– Alt Text: Today Image optimization is very important in SEO, because it offers additional opportunity to rank website in Search engine results. Alt text tag tells Search Engine crawlers that what an image is want to represent and provides a text alternative to images which will be displayed if the image doesn’t load.
– Canonical Tag: If we have some pages on our website which are almost identical or if we syndicated content on our website which was also published somewhere else, then using Canonical tag we can inform search engines which pages to prioritize. Using this tag we can avoid a duplicate content penalty by search engines.
– Header Tags (H1, H2, H3, H4 etc.): Header tags are basically headings we use in our page content to structure our page. As we know headings in a page improve user experience, make document easy to read, it also help Search Engines to understand what our page content is all about.
– Viewport Tag: Viewport is the user’s visible area of a web page. Viewport Meta tag impacts how website content appears on different devices. The viewport varies with different devices; it will be smaller on a mobile screen than on a tablet or on computer.
– Robots: Robots Meta tag is a page-specific approach used to indicate that we want “noindex” or “nofollow” tag and the page should not be served to search users in Google Search results.
– Hreflang Tags: According to Google, it uses the rel=”alternate” hreflang=”x” attributes to serve the correct language or regional URL in search results when you have an international audience. Hreflang tags are important because they help ease some of the concerns we can face with the publication of duplicate content.
– Content Type: The html Meta tag HTTP-EQUIV CONTENT-TYPE allows us to specify the media type (i.e. text/html), the character set and it impacts how a website page is rendered in the browsers.
– Author Tag: Author tag is recommended to name the author of the page but it’s not necessary to all pages.